Recipe by Juenessa
Recipe courtesy of Nigella Lawson, from her television show Nigella Feasts.
Top Review by charlie #5
I'm not sure what to say here. This is no reflection on Juenessa. The recipe is fine. Just not sure my tastes are liking it. Hubby loves beans and thought he'd like it, not so much. I only used 1/8 t cinnamon and wish I hadn't used it at all. Needs lots of salt, but then I used home-cooked beans instead of canned. Thinking we might not waste it all if I covered it with melted cheese and dipped chips in it. Saw this recipe on Foodnetwork and it got rave reviews, so I'm not giving stars. Seems lots of folks really like it. Just not for us.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (not extra-virgin)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 fat garlic cloves (minced or grated)
- 1 3⁄4 cups kidney beans, reserving the liquid in the can
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil and cook the onion and garlic until soft and golden.
- Add the kidney beans and their liquid and stir in the tomato paste and spices and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the lime juice to the kidney bean mixture.
- Take the pan off the heat and when it has cooled a little, process the mixture until it is a bumpy puree.
- When it is cool, arrange in small bowls and sprinkle over the reserved lime zest.