Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Red hot cinnamon candies have been 1 of my favorite ingredients since my childhood & this is the 1st of 2 recipes I'm entering that feature them. I found this at allrecipes.com & it was posted by SMTHJG who said "My grandmother used to make this simple sweet-spicy dish every yr for the holidays. It's so delicious that you'll want to make it all yr." I agree w/her & hope you will as well. Just imagine this dish along side a lovely glazed ham! Yum!
- Place sweet potatoes in a lrg saucepan w/enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil & cook over med heat till tender (about 25 min).
- Drain of all water & place in a lrg casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a med bowl, stir together the butter, brown sugar, red hot candies & water.
- Pour over the sweet potatoes in the dish.
- Bake for 1 hr till sweet potatoes are soft & the candies are melted.
- After this, you may top w/marshmallows (if desired) & return the dish to the oven for 10 min to toast them.
These are good, but maybe just a little too sweet for us. I only had 1 cup of cinnamon candies so that was all I used and they were still really sweet. Next time I will cut down on the sugar or maybe the candies. Just a note: We ate leftover potatoes a couple of days later and they did not seem quite as sweet after reheating.
These were really good. I had a ham already in the oven so this worked out perfectly. Everything was done at the same time. I loved the cinnamon flavor of the yams. Thank you for this great recipe.
Oh Twis...these are tasty. I knew I would like them being a huge sweet potato fan and the cinnamon candies were such an interesting twist. I ate them with a ham steak for dinner and then had another serving for dessert! I think I might toss some toasted pecans in with my leftover potatoes. Thanks for the fun treat.