Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly minced parsley
- 4 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves, crushed or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ground red pepper or cayenne
- 8 ounces uncooked fusilli (4 cups cooked)
- 1⁄2 lb cooked chicken breast, diced into 1/2 inch pieces (3/4 lb. raw) (optional)
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan.
- Saute garlic and parsley until golden.
- Add tomatoes and spices.
- Cook uncovered over low heat 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- If desired, add chicken and continue cooking for 15 minutes until chicken is heated through and sauce is thick.
- Cook pasta firm in unsalted water.
- To serve, spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with coarsely chopped parsley.
- Serve hot as a main dish and cold for the next day's lunch.