Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are hotdogs in a spicy red sauce. This is my mom's creation and we love them! Recently my hubby and I had a craving for them but didn't have any hotdogs so we cut up a ring bologna in chunks and covered it in the sauce and baked it - YUM!! There is a lot of room to play with the ingredients: mustard could be the yellow stuff or dijon; relish could be sweet or dill; diced onion could be fresh or dehydrated; vinegar could be white, red wine, cider, etc. ENJOY and make this your own!
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons relish
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) package hot dogs, 8-10 count
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix ingredients together well, minus the hotdogs.
- Slice the hotdogs, lengthwise about 2/3rds of the way through.
- Arrange hotdogs in ovensafe baking dish.
- Fill hotdogs with the sauce mix.
- Cook for about 30-45 minutes or until cooked through and mixture is bubbly.
- Place hotdogs in buns with the sauce.
These were so flavorful! I simmered the sauce in a pan on the stove while I grilled the hot dogs. I melted some american cheese on top, added some diced pickled jalapenos in the sauce, and topped it with fresh diced tomatoes. Since I didn't cook the sauce as long as the recipe suggests, I cut back on the vinegar. It was still super tangy, sweet, and spicy. Delish!
Haute Dog! Elevates the plain dog to a higher level. Pass it on. Made for A-NZ#60.
Really enjoyed these dogs. Followed recipe to the T. Also cooked some beer brats and tried the sauce on them. Wow. Thanks to you and your mom for the keeper.