Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
El Chico use to serve a dish similar to this. Serve it as a side dish or as a condiment with your enchiladas, chile, or beans.
- 1 lb carrot, sliced into rounds
- 1 -2 pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 3 teaspoons jalapeno pickling liquid
- 2 teaspoons oil, preferably canola or corn
- 2 teaspoons minced onions
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch sugar
- Blanch the carrots in a pan of boiling water, drain and rinse in cold water.
- Drain again.
- In a nonreactive bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.
- Add the carrots to the marinade and refrigerate, covered, for a least 24 hours.
- Before serving, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- if needed.
- They will keep in refrigerator for several days.
I cooked and marinated these as the recipe said, then briefly reheated them to serve with a standing rib roast by Bobbiegirl. These had lots of flavour were easy, and I will reserve my final judgement until I serve them cold as suggested! Thanks for another yummy recipe Ann.
This takes me back to Mexico - nearly every rest. has a complimentary bowl of these carrots with your meal - They are "Take your Head Off Hot".This recipe is just right some heat but head stays in tact. Definately marinate them for 24 hours and today 36 hours later they are even better. I like them ice cold. Thanks Miss Annie for a pleasant memory and an excellent recipe
Great flavor. Easy recipe. We have enjoyed carrots similar to this at a local restaurant but I prefer these any day. I did cut the amount of cumin in half (personal preference) and doubled the amount of liquids for marinade. Marinated for about 48 hours which was just right. My husband and I ate them all in two setting so now I am going back to the store for ingredients for our second batch! Thank you.