1/4 Photos of Red Hot & Blue Potato Salad - the Original
Twisted Moon's Note:
I've searched for this recipe for several years, ever since I worked at the Red Hot & Blue restaurant in Savannah, GA. I FINALLY managed to get ahold of the store manual's recipe, and this is scaled down from it. It will still make a fair amount, about 12 servings...but once you try it, you'll be grateful for that extra, cause it WON'T last long!!!
My Private Note
C Servi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Steam the potatoes skin-on for approximately 45 minutes (you can boil them, but they tend to be slightly mushier in the end result). Set aside until cool enough to handle. Boil your eggs, then do the same. When cool enough, peel the eggs ONLY (do NOT peel the potatoes -- the skin gives it part of it's unique texture and taste).
- 2In a large bowl, mix the remaining ingredients together until thoroughly mixed. Chop the potatoes and eggs into bite-size pieces and add to bowl. Mix GENTLY -- you want salad, not mush -- until blended.
- 3Serve at room temp for up to 2 hours after making -- refridgerate leftovers. It tastes best when room temp, but is delicious cold too -- so if you are making this in advance, it's fine to chill it.
- 4NOTE - If you are on a low-sodium diet, you can easily reduce or eliminate the salt the recipe calls for. Just let people salt it at table to taste!
- 5***Wanted to say THANKS to all the reviews! Here's another hint to make this easier: when you are going to make boiled eggs, ALWAYS make sure you buy the eggs at LEAST 7-10 days in advance. Why? Because as an egg matures, it develops a small air "bubble" inside it (it's the membrane separating from the shell). Having this bubble makes it a BREEZE to peel the eggs once they've cooled completely (also a great trick for Easter Eggs, BTW). You want your eggs to be around 10-12 days old, and it takes, on average, 2-3 days to get them from the laying facility to the store.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Hot & Blue Potato Salad - the Original
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.7
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 68.3 mg
- Sodium 565.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: