Recipe by twissis
I love the ease of crock pot cooking & this is a recipe given to me by susiequsie from "The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever". I eliminated cinnamon from the original recipe, changed the ingredient amounts to suit preparing 8 apples & added a little something extra to "kick it up a notch". The apples can be served (hot or cold) as a side dish with a pork meal or a dessert with vanilla ice cream ... & be sure to use the yummy apple-flavored red sauce you'll get.
Top Review by threeovens
This couldn't be simpler to make and tastes great too! I've always wanted to bake apples and now I know how. I've made apple pie with red hots before, so I know what a lovely color they lend to the dessert.
- 8 medium apples
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup red cinnamon candies
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Core apples at the stem end, taking care to make a wide opening & not go completely through the bottom. Then peel skin down 1 in from the top.
- Mix sugar, raisins & cinnamon red hots.
- Stuff apples tightly with the mixture (mounding at the opening as there will be ample stuffing mix) & dot each opening with butter.
- Pour water into crock pot, add any leftover stuffing mixture to the water & add apples.
- Cover & cook on low 7-8 hrs, medium for 6 hrs or high for 3-4 hours (NOTE: Cooking time may vary & I suggest fork testing the apples 1 hr ahead of the time you expect them to be finished).