Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
We are first year canners and this was definitely our favorite recipe. We just peeled the grapefruit and put it all through a food mill, but juice the grapefruit however you see fit. Watch for the seeds! It was easy and it felt really safe for us to try. The original recipe called for commercial grapefruit juice (what a travesty) and red food coloring (ick, we liked the pale pink color).
- 3 1⁄2 cups fresh squeezed red grapefruit juice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 7 cups granulated sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) envelopes liquid pectin
- Combine juices and sugar.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and quickly skim off any foam.
- Stir in liquid pectin.
- Ladle into hot sterilized jars leaving about 1/4 inch headspace and cover with lids and rings. Process jars in boiling water for 10 minutes to seal.
This worked out very well, canning grapefruit today and had a little less than 4 cups of juice left over so I decided to try making it into Jelly, never heard of Grapefruit Jelly before and think it turned out very good.
The flavor of this was good but I think that 2 envelopes of pectin was too much. Next time I would cut this back to only 1 envelope.