Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "The Complete Vegetable Cookbook"
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beets, no greens, trimmed and peeled
- 1 lb potato, all-purpose, scrubbed and peeled
- 4 slices bacon (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (not olive oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- pepper, fresh
- Cube the beets and potatoes (1/2-inch pieces), keeping them separate. Put them in separate saucepans with water to cover and bring to a boil. Boil until tender, about 5 minutes for the potatoes and 15 minutes for the beets. Drain well and place both in one big bowl.
- If you are using bacon, fry it in a large skillet until crispy, then drain well and crumble or chop it inti small bits. Add the bacon bits to the beet mixture and discard the bacon fat.
- In the same skillet, heat half the oil and saute the onion until browned. Stir the browned onion into the beet mixture and season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Add the rest of the oil to the skilet. Spread the beet-potato mixture evenly in the skillet and saute iver medium heat without strring, until the poatoes are crisp and brown on the bottom. Use spatula to turn the hash; browned again repeat until most of the potatoes are browned. Season with more salt and pepper if needed, and serve hot.