Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
The term cole slaw comes from the Dutch, koolsla, for "cabbage salad". This cole slaw is a vibrant red from the cabbage, capsicum, radishes and beets.
- 2 medium beets
- 1 small head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1⁄2 red capsicum, seeded and minced
- 3 radishes, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Place the beets in a medium size saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until just tender (about 30 minutes). Drain and rinse under cold running water then peel and cut into matchsticks. Place in a large serving bowl along with the cabbage, capsicum and radishes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, celery salt, Tabasco ad salt and pepper to taste until blended. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and stir to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours for best results.
Just by reading the ingredients I knew this would be to my liking, but I didn't expect it to be soooo good. I loved it. Thanks for sharing your recipe. ZWT6.
I love that it came out 3 different colors of red! The recipe is also quite healthy! Made for ZWT 6.