Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A very basic and mild red Enchilada Sauce that can be used in many ways. Can easily be made hotter by adding spices, jalapenos or using hot chili powder. It is quick and easy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Mix spices and flour in olive oil in saucepan over medium heat until fragrant and starting to brown.
- Slowly add chicken broth and tomato sauce and cook and stir until thickened.
- Use as red sauce over any beef, game, cheese or poultry enchiladas.
- A good mild sauce than can be easily"warmed" up by adding jalapenos, chipotles or other spices.
This recipe is exactly as described - mild & flavorful. My picky eater DH loved this sauce so I am adding it to my cookbook. It's also quick & easy to make, and there is enough for a 13x9 pan of enchildadas. Next time I will double the recipe and freeze half for later. Thanks, Annie!
very good! I added some more chilipowder and some chopped jalapenos. my husband really loved it. very easy to make, too.
Excellent! I'll never buy enchilada sauce again! We froze the leftover amount, and it reheated very well the next time we needed it. Will make a bigger batch next time!