Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very moist delicious cake. Recipe courtesy of Variety Pack Favorite Recipes and Lillija Huddle.Serving size is estimated. The baking time also wasn't listed, but we just checked the cake after 35 or 40 minutes--until we could smell it from the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease and flour a long Pyrex dish.
- Cream sugar and shortening until sugar is fluffy.
- Add well beaten egg.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with sour milk.
- Add hot coffee and vanilla.
- Beat until well mixed.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake until done but do not overcook.
- Icing: Mix sugar, salt, and cocoa together.
- Add shortening and milk.
- Bring to a swift boil.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring well.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat with electric mixer until thick and smooth.
- If it begins to thicken too much, add a tablespoon of heavy cream.