- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening and 1 cup of the sugar until light.
- Add vanilla and egg yolks, one at time; beating well after each.
- Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with cold water, beating after each addition.
- Beat egg white until soft peaks form; gradually add ¾ cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into batter; Blend well.
- Bake in 2 greased and lightly floured 8 by 2 ½ in round pans at 350 F for 35-30 minutes. Let cool. Frost.