Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
Bundt Cake Bliss
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder (heaping)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°; prepare a 12-cup Bundt pan using butter and flour; set aside.
- Combine cocoa and red food coloring in a bowl; let mixture stand.
- In another bowl, cream the shortening and sugar thoroughly; add the eggs and combine.
- Add in the buttermilk, salt, vanilla, and flour; beat thoroughly.
- Beat in the vinegar and baking soda by hand; pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the cake springs back slightly when touched.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before inverting it onto a wire rack or serving platter to cool thoroughly.
- Topping options: a dusting of powdered sugar, or your favorite cream cheese frosting or vanilla glaze.
- For Halloween: make real-looking blood for a gory touch—combine ½ cup corn syrup, 1 teaspoon red food coloring, and two drops blue food coloring; place in a glass container and shake vigorously; frost with vanilla frosting, then drizzle with fake blood, and add a butcher knife for effect; for the best appearance, use a light hand and practice caution because the mixture can stain.