Recipe by rhiamom
Red curry the way my neighbor taught me to cook it. Vary the amount of curry paste to control the heat. This recipe makes a mild curry by Thai standards, a spicy curry by American standards. Use the small green and white Thai eggplants. The skin of the eggplants turns purple as they cook.
- 1⁄2 kg chicken meat, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 8 Thai eggplants, quartered
- 2 sprigs Thai basil
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil, red curry paste, and 2 tablespoons of the coconut milk in wok or 3 quart saucepan until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the chicken, and mix well into curry mixture to coat the chicken. Fry until the chicken is is done.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk, the water, lime leaves, basil, and the eggplant.
- Simmer until the eggplant is tender.
- Add the fish sauce and simmer a few more minutes. Remove the basil and lime leaves.