1/2 Photos of Red Curry Paste
1 hr 10 mins
I like to make my own curry paste. This way I know that the compliments I get for my curries are entirely up to myself. The good thing is that the paste keeps for a couple of weeks in the fridge and can be frozen. The paste makes wonderful presents too. I give them away together with coconut milk, some kaffir lime leaves (I have my own plant), and some ideas how to use it. I also tell them that they can wrap whatever they won't use in tin foil and freeze. The recipe comes from Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Bible, a wonderful book. You will find coriander with roots in Asian stores, but don't worry if you can't find the roots, Madhur Jaffrey writes that you can use a small handful of the leaves instead. However, your paste then won't be as red as when using the roots. This paste is enough for two dishes of pork, beef, chicken, prawns, squid, fish, crabs, lobster meat or hard-boiled eggs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 -12 hot dried red chilies (of the long cayenne variety)
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemongrass, that has been thinly sliced crossways
- 3 slices galangal (thin slices, fresh or frozen) or 3 slices ginger (thin slices, fresh or frozen)
- 1 slice fresh kaffir lime rind (I've never used it)
- 6 -8 coriander root, washed well and coarsely chopped
- fresh ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon shrimp paste, chopped or 1/4 teaspoon anchovy, from a can chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons bright red paprika
- 1Soak the chillies in 5 tablespoons hot water for 1-2 hours. (You could also put them in a microwave oven for 2-3 minutes and then let them sit for 20-30 minutes).
- 2Put the chillies together with their soaking liquid, into a blender, along with all the remaining ingredients in the order listed.
- 3Blend, pushing down with a rubber spatula as many times as necessary, until you have a smooth paste.
- 4What you do not use immediately should be refrigerated or frozen.
Browse Our Top Herb and Spice Mixes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Curry Paste
Serving Size: 1 (60 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 31.5
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: