Prep 2 mins
Cook 25 mins
Tired of zucchini done Italian or French style? Try this one, based on the curries of northern India.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs courgettes (zucchini)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped (cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Trim the ends from the courgettes and cut into 1/2-in. slices.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Fry the mustard seeds until they start to splutter (about 2 minutes).
- Add the onion and garlic, and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, ground coriander, cumin, ground turmeric and salt, and continue to fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the courgette slices and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and water to the frying pan and simmer until the sauce thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the fresh (or dried) coriander and garam masala, then cook for another 5 minutes, or until the courgettes are tender.