1/2 Photos of Red Curry Carrot Soup
Carrot soup, kicked up a notch. Recipe from Food & Wine, June 1999.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 large carrots, peeled, 4 thickly sliced, 2 cut into fine matchsticks
- 2 slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3/4 teaspoon red curry paste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot.
- 2Add the sliced carrots (not the matchstick carrots) and ginger and sautee over medium-high heat, until the carrots are crisp-tender and lightly browned, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- 3Add the onion and cook until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- 4Add the stock, water, coconut milk and curry paste to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer over until the carrots are tender, about 25 minutes.
- 6Strain out the solids, reserving the liquid; discard the ginger.
- 7Transfer the carrots to a blender and puree with 1 cup of the cooking liquid until very smooth.
- 8Return the puree to the cooking liquid.
- 9This can also be done with a stick blender if you have one and will be much easier- just remove the ginger and puree in the pot.
- 10Add the carrot matchsticks and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- 11Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- 12Serve hot, garnished with the scallion, cilantro and basil.
- 13For Vegetarian use Vegetable stock.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Curry Carrot Soup
Serving Size: 1 (522 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.5
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 424.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste