1/6 Photos of Red Currant Muffins
1 hr 15 mins
These are the most wonderful fruity summer muffins. I use red currants. Their more tart flavor make these muffins taste so fresh. The meringue topping melts in your mouth and the muffins are still moist. Serve them warm and the berries with all their juices will pop in your mouth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 5 1/4 ounces red currants, fresh
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1Grease muffin cups and place the in the freezer until use.
- 2Preheat oven (360°F, 180°C).
- 3In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and currants; set aside.
- 4In a large bowl beat the egg slightly. Add sugar, vegetable oil and buttermilk and mix thoroughly.
- 5Add flour-currant mixture and stir just until combined. Batter will be sticky.
- 6Divide batter equally among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- 7Meanwhile prepare the meringue topping. Beat egg whites and salt with a mixer on high speed until foamy and soft peaks are formed, then gradually add powdered sugar and beat until meringue is stiff. At last fold in the currants carefully.
- 8When muffins are done, remove from oven. Spread the meringue topping on each muffin. Put the muffins back into the oven and let the meringue topping dry out for about 5 - 10 minutes. The meringue topping should be white or only slightly brown.
- 9Remove muffins from oven and let cool down in muffin cups for 5 - 10 minutes. Then remove the muffins from the cups and serve warm or let cool down completely.
- 10NOTE: You can replace red currants by black currants or other small berries.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Currant Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 257.1
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 16.3 mg
- Sodium 167.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 25.6 g
- Protein 4.5 g