Recipe by Wildflour
I LOVE these, been making them for about 15 years now. A nice change from regular meatballs. Everyone really likes them. I usually serve these as an appy or even a side dish for parties, but I wouldn't see why it couldn't be made as a main dish, too! :)
Top Review by noway
Delicious! I loved the tartness of the cherries and the mustard currant sauce was a nice complement! Have 1/2 ham and 1/2 beef made these less salty than when I make hamballs out of 100% ground ham and I will use this mixture from now on instead. I used 1/3 c panko instead of a slice of bread, and it held together nicely. I used dijon mustard like a previous reviewer and agree that I would prefer that to yellow mustard. Thanks for posting!
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 slice bread, torn into tiny pieces
- 1⁄3 cup snipped dried tart cherry
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb fully cooked ground ham
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 2⁄3 cup red currant jelly
- 1 -2 tablespoon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, combine first 5 ingredients.
- Add next 2 ingredients and mix with hands.
- Shape into 1" balls.
- Bake in 13x9 pan and bake at 350º for 18-20 minutes.
- In small saucepan, melt jelly and mustard.
- Place meatballs into dish, pour sauce over, stir lightly to coat.
- Toothpick if desired for appetizers.
- Serve hot.