There will be no falling asleep at dinner with this on your plate! Something different from Miraval Resort & Spa chef Cary Neff.
- 1⁄8 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄8 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup couscous, grande
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 3⁄4 cup beet juice (or any other vibrantly-colored vegetable juice easily found at your grocery store if you don't have)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- Saute the onion in olive oil until it begins to soften, about two minutes; add the couscous, apple juice, beet juice and seasonings; mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover the pot; steam for about 30-35 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the couscous is a bright red.