Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is from Cooking Light Feb 2008. YUMMY!
- 2 lbs boneless beef short ribs, trimmed and cut into 8 equal pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 3⁄4 cup fat free low-sodium beef broth
- 6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 1 cinnamon stick (4-inch)
- 8 ounces canned water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 4 cups hot cooked short-grain rice
- 1 cup sliced green onion (1-inch)
- Heat a large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add half of beef to pan; cook 3 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Repeat procedure with cooking spray and remaining beef.
- Add ginger, rind and garlic to pan; saute 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Stir in sherry, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Add mushrooms; cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Add beef, broth, and next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon); bring to a simmer.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until beef is very tender.
- Stir in water chestnuts; cook for 5 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon.
- Serve over rice; sprinkle with onions.