Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very good quick stew with an Asian flavor.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 lbs chicken, cubed in bite size pieces (trim extra skin)
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, sliced
- 1 star anise (8 petals)
- 1⁄3 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 garlic cloves (whole)
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup bamboo shoot
- 1 cup potato, cubed, add 1/3 cup water if using potatoes (optional)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, over high heat, cook chicken and carrots.
- Stir until chicken is a little brown.
- Mix scallions, star anise, soy, sherry, sugar and garlic and pour over chicken.
- Mix the 2 teaspoons corn starch well with the 1 tablespoon water and pour over chicken.
- Add bamboo shoots, onion and potatoes and cook on low for 25 minutes.