Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This dish can be quite hot and spicy depending on the brand of curry paste used. the variety in the pouch (instead of the jar or can) tend to be milder. For those sensitive to spicy food, reduce the curry paste to 2 teaspoons. In a pinch, use mild Indian curry paste. Serve over rice. From Canadian Living Magazine.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 small Japanese eggplants, or
- 1 large eggplant, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime rind, grated
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sweet green peppers, cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 cup lighty packed fresh Thai basil or 1⁄2 cup basil
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed fresh coriander leaves
- cut chicken into bite-size pieces.in a wok or large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat, stir fry chicken in batches, until browned, about 3 minutes, transfer to plate, set aside.
- add remaining oil to wok, stir fry eggplant, onion, garlic, ginger and curry paste until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- pour in coconut milk and bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- reduce heat to simmer, add fish sauce, sugar, lime rind and lime juice, salt, peppers and chicken and any accumulated juices. cover and cook stirring occasionally until slightly thickened and peppers are tender, about 10 minutes.
- add basil and coriander, and serve.
WOW! So glad I found this recipe. I hunted high and low for the perfect recipe, and this is IT! My curry tasted better than the restaurants'. My husband and I don't like eggplant, so I subbed in green beans chopped in half and it was perfect. I also subbed one red bell pepper and one green instead of 2 green and used 3 large chicken breasts cut into pieces instead of thighs. One thing I was a little afraid of at first was the fish sauce because I really dislike seafood, but the fish sauce adds no fish flavor :) I used the rind of one lime because I didn't have lime leaves and that turned out great. I would also like to mention where I got my curry paste because this is very important. I bought the curry paste on Amazon.com through a company called TastePadThai. I got red/green/yellow curry paste in a set. It was amazing and I can't wait to try the other colors. I used half a can for this recipe. Thank you for this recipe!
This is absolutely delicious. I've made it several times now and even our toddler likes it. Spicy, sweet, creamy, so good! We substitute spinach for eggplant and soy sauce for the fish sauce.
A total slam dunk!