Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Grammy used to bring these over every Christmas morning. We were supposed to eat them with the goose, ham, or whatever meat we were having, but they hardly ever made it that long.
- 4 medium apples, any variety
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup red cinnamon candies (i.e., Red Hots, etc.)
- red food coloring
- Leaving peel on, cut core out of each apple, then slice into 1/2-inch rings horizontally.
- Combine sugar, water, and candies in medium saucepan. Heat to boil, melting candies, then reduce to simmer. Add enough food coloring to make the liquid a nice red color.
- Add apples to syrup, and cook until tender but not mushy. You should be able to pick them out with a fork when they're done.