1/3 Photos of Red Chili Sauce (To Be Used With Traditional Tamales)
1 hr 5 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove stems and seeds from dried chili peppers.
- 2Place peppers in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- 3Roast in 350°F oven for 2 to 5 minutes or until you smell a sweet roasted aroma, checking often to avoid burning.
- 4Remove from oven and soak in enough hot water to cover for about 30 minutes or until cool.
- 5Put peppers and 2 1/2 cups of the soaking water into a blender (save the remaining soaking water).
- 6Add garlic, cumin and salt.
- 7Cover and blend until smooth.
- 8In a 2-quart sauce pan, stir flour into oil or melted shortening over med heat until browned.
- 9Carefully stir in blended chili mixture.
- 10Simmer uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. (If sauce gets too thick, stir in up to 1 cup of the remaining soaking water until you reach the desired thickness) Use this sauce for traditional tamales, Traditional Tamales (Pork).
- 11Note: When working with chilies, use rubber gloves to protect your skin, and avoid contact with your eyes. Wash hands throughly with soap and water to remove all of the chili oils.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Chili Sauce (To Be Used With Traditional Tamales)
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 39.5
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 585.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 0.7 g