Prep 8 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a Bobby Flay recipe that appeared in the Wall Street Journal. It is intended to be served with his Fried Eggs, New Mexico Style, but is also good with tortilla chips.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small white onions or 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, and juices pureed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ancho powder and cumin and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomato puree, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Serve, or if serving with the eggs, set aside.