Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another of my favorites that "Low Fat Mexican Recipes" cook book need to be credited for. This is an awesome lowfat chili sauce recipe that can be used with many mexican recipes.
- 8 dried red chili peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- Wash chiles, remove stems and seeds (leave seeds for a hotter sauce).
- Place chiles, garlic and onion in a pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes.
- Drain water, place chiles, garlic, onion and flour in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour into saucepan, add 2 cups of water and seasonings.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce is thick and bubbly.