These are very nice with just a hit of heat from the chili powder. They are soft and tender inside with a crisp crust.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup chilled buttermilk (may need to add more, enough to moisten batter)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing tops
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder baking soda, salt and chili powder together.
- Cut in the chilled butter until it looks like fine meal.
- Add cheese and buttermilk. (You may need a little extra buttermilk to reach the moistened stage).
- Mix until flour is moistened.
- Place mixture on a floured surface, knead lightly, about 15 turns.
- Roll out to 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut with 3 1/2 in cutter (Or use whatever size you want).
- Gather up scrapes and roll into ball and roll out again to 3/4 inch thick and cut additional biscuits. Continue until all the dough is used.
- Put biscuits onto a greased pan.
- Brush the tops with butter.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 25 minutes.