Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Although the ingredients are unusual, this is outstanding red chili.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canpeeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 4 fresh hot chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, ground beef and cubed sirloin in oil for 10 minutes, or until the meat is well browned and the onions are tender.
- Mix in the diced tomatoes with juice, dark beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Season with brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander and salt.
- Stir in 2 cans of the beans and hot chile peppers. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in the 2 remaining cans of beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.
very dark chili with a nice amount of spice and a great earthy sweetness. we really enjoyed this! made for comfort cafe winter 2010