Recipe by Kaccy G.
This is an Aunt Chilada's spin on tamales. Every one has their own version. And believe me if you can find one you like, you can't get enough of them. A good on the go food. Nice for hunting.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs masa harina flour
- 1 lb lard
- 1 ounce salt
- 1 ounce baking powder
- 1⁄4 lb red chile (hot or mild)
- 1⁄2 gallon hot water
- 4 lbs beef roast
- salt and pepper
- corn husk, soak in water until soft, drained and wiped dry
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixer or by hand, combine masa, lard, salt and baking powder until well blended.
- Deseed the chile pods, then soak the pods in hot water until soft.
- Puree the soft chile pods.
- Boil roast with salt, pepper and garlic until beef is cooked through.
- Remove beef; shred.
- Reserve the beef broth.
- Mix red chile puree with shredded beef.
- Add reserved beef broth until moist.
- Spread masa in a corn husk.
- Place about 1 1/2 ounces beef in the center of the masa.
- Fold over sides of tamale, then wrap tamale in wax paper.
- Place tamales in steamer pot, cover and cook 45 minutes or until the tamales are firm.