Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
Whisk about 2 tablespoons into a cup or so of plain vinaigrette for a flavorful and spicy salad dressing. Also great brushed on fish or chicken before it goes on the grill.
- 6 dried ancho chiles
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons grated lemons, zest of
- 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup grated queso fresco or 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place the anchos on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven for 3 or 4 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Transfer the anchos to a mixing bowl, cover with warm water, and weight down with a plate or pan so the anchos remain submerged.
- Let soak for 10 to 15 minutes, or until just pliable.
- Drain the anchos; stem and seed them under running water.
- Transfer to a food processor and add the citrus zests, cilantro, garlic, pumpkin seeds, sugar, and cheese.
- Process until smooth, then drizzle in the oil with the motor running.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Keeps, refrigerated, for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 2 months.