I'm on the lookout for healthy recipes. This one looks promising from Self April 2008.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 32 ounces fat-free vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sweet Thai sweet chili sauce, such as Mae Ploy
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or 1/4 cup rice wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dark chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 lb red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 lb green cabbage, shredded
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1Preparation: Stir 1/2 cup vegetable stock with cornstarch in a measuring cup until blended. Bring remaining 28 ounces stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and slowly whisk in stock-cornstarch mixture. Stir rapidly until stock is the consistency of olive oil. (It should cling to the back of a spoon.) Cool to room temperature, skim off and discard any film on top.
- 2Place cumin seeds in a dry sauté pan over medium-high heat. Stir until aroma of seeds is released, about 1 minute.
- 3Blend 1/4 cup stock in a blender with cumin seeds and remaining dressing ingredients until smooth. (Refrigerate or freeze leftover stock.).
- 4Heat oven to 350°F Combine pecans, chili powder and oil in a mixing bowl; toss to coat pecans. Place nuts on a cookie sheet and roast until the aroma of the chili powder is released, 3 to 4 minutes. Combine dressing and slaw ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 5Note: If you have leftovers drain off the dressing and store in a separate container.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Chile and Pecan Coleslaw
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.2
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 253.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat-free vegetable broth