1/1 Photo of Red Chard Saag
Had some Red Chard that needed a good using a little while back, figured "hey, it's kinda like spinach... why not do up some saag with it?"... the result was not only tasty, but it was visually very stunning as well. I use Patak's Vindaloo sauce here, as it's a quick way to get the right balance of spices, but if you've got a spice set that you like, that will no doubt work too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Finely chop (or process) chard leaves.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Heat oil or ghee in heavy bottomed saute pan at med-high.
- 4When oil is hot, add onion (be careful, as the oil may splatter) and sauté until transparent.
- 5Add chopped chard and let wilt.
- 6Add vindaloo and reduce heat.
- 7Simmer covered, stirring occasionally, for 10-20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
- 8If you find the mixture is getting dry, add water.
- 9After simmering, raise heat and add garlic and ginger.
- 10Stir and heat for 5 minutes.
- 11Serve with Naan bread and/or basamati rice.
- 12(NOTE: If you want to add paneer or potatoes, etc, fold them into the mixture along with garlic and ginger).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Chard Saag
Serving Size: 1 (113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.7
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red swiss chard
vindaloo curry paste