Had some Red Chard that needed a good using a little while back, figured "hey, it's kinda like spinach... why not do up some saag with it?"... the result was not only tasty, but it was visually very stunning as well. I use Patak's Vindaloo sauce here, as it's a quick way to get the right balance of spices, but if you've got a spice set that you like, that will no doubt work too.
- Finely chop (or process) chard leaves.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil or ghee in heavy bottomed saute pan at med-high.
- When oil is hot, add onion (be careful, as the oil may splatter) and sauté until transparent.
- Add chopped chard and let wilt.
- Add vindaloo and reduce heat.
- Simmer covered, stirring occasionally, for 10-20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
- If you find the mixture is getting dry, add water.
- After simmering, raise heat and add garlic and ginger.
- Stir and heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve with Naan bread and/or basamati rice.
- (NOTE: If you want to add paneer or potatoes, etc, fold them into the mixture along with garlic and ginger).