Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This tastes as good as it looks!! Lovely presentation. from cooking for diabetics.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- Mix the onion, tomatoes and tomato paste in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Mix the flour to a paste with a little of the milk.
- Stir the paste into the tomato mixture, then gradually add the remaining milk and the water.
- Stir constantly until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Keep the sauce hot.
- Steam the cauliflower and broccoli florets, covered in a steamer over boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender.
- To serve, turn into a dish; pour the tomato sauce on top and sprinkle with extra pepper if desired.
Not too hard to make. The tomato sauce gave the cauliflower and broccoli a unique flavor.