Recipe by Flue Crew
Not for the timid or faint of heart, but if you want a good authentic Texas chili, give this one a try. This recipe is a result of a lot of different batches of chili while trying to duplicate some that I had tasted when judging at a CASI event here in Texas and watching some of the masters create some of Texas' best. I make no claim to be anywhere in the league of those that compete at the world championship in Terlingua every year, but do know that several cooks use similar methods and spices as I have used here. All spices can be adjusted to suit your taste. This one suits me just fine and maybe you'll like it too.
Top Review by zobrien
A co-worker, Justin, showed me this recipe and I made this chili last night and it was fantastic! I can't wait to see if it's better after a day in the fridge. It's got a little bit of kick, but only enough to be noticeable, not enough to burn. It's also going to be great on fries, hot links, etc if you give it a chance to thicken up.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork (can use all beef)
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 serrano pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Step #1.
- In a heavy dutch oven with a tight fitting lid, brown beef and pork in cooking oil. Don't drain grease (optional).
- Add chicken and beef broth and tomato sauce. Float jalapeno and serrano peppers.
- Stir in 3 Tbs. chili powder (I use Penzy's medium hot), 2 teaspoons garlic powder, and 1 Tbs. Onion powder.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour covered.
- Step #2.
- Add beef and chicken boullion cubes, 2 Tbs. chili powder, 2 teaspoons Cumin and ½ teaspoons Ground black pepper. Remove jalapeno and serrano peppers and squeeze out juice into chili. Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Step #3.
- Add the following:.
- 1 teaspoons onion powder.
- ½ teaspoons garlic powder.
- 2 teaspoons paprika.
- 2 teaspoons cumin.
- 1 Tbs. chili powder.
- ¼ teaspoons ground red pepper.
- ½ teaspoons ground black pepper.
- Simmer 15 minutes and serve.
- Note: If too thin, simmer uncovered until desired consistency is reached or add a little water if too thick.