Recipe by Pierre Dance
This one is from CHILI PEPPER magazine. Red Caldwell has been winning cooking, grilling, and barbecueing compititions for the last 15 years. These are the ABSOLUTE BEST TEX-MEX BEANS ever.
Top Review by Valerie in Florida
I am sorry, but I just did not like these. I think that I must have done something wrong, since they have won contests, but I followed the recipe exactly. Thank you for sharing, but I just did not like these.
- 6 tinned jalapenos (You can cut back on the heat by seeding and devaining the chilies.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 lbs pinto beans, sorted,washed,soaked overnight
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork, cubed 1 x 1 x 1/4 inch
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Place the beans in a crock pot set on low, cover with water.
- Add everything else.
- Cook overnight.
- Add any salt that is needed.
- (Don't salt at the beginning because of the salt pork.) Serve.
- These freeze well and are even better when reheated.
- I had to cut this recipe in half to get it to fit my crock pot.