Recipe by mollypaul
Serve piping hot! From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1 head red cabbage (about 2- 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 4 tablespoons fat or 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup currant jelly
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (any kind)
- 1 apple, peeled and grated (Granny Smith or other sour apple preferred)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons stock or 2 tablespoons broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean cabbage and shred fine.
- Cook onion in fat until golden; add next 7 ingredients and cabbage, simmer until tender stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Mix cornstarch with stock and add to cabbage mixture.
- Continue to cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring constantly.