Recipe by carrie sheridan
A side dish served on January 20, 2013 as part of the second course at the luncheon following the second Obama Inauguration
- 1⁄2 red cabbage, shaved thin
- 2 pints apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the cabbage, vinegar, sugar and water in a large heavy-bottomed pot.
- Bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours or until the liquid has reduced to a syrup-like consistency. Stir occasionally during the 2-3 hours.
- Add 1/4 cup of the strawberry preserves to the cabbage and stir until fully incorporated. Taste and decide if you want to add the remaining 1/4 cup of the preserves. If the taste is too sweet, adjust sweetness with additional salt.