Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a quick to put together meal and requires minimal attention while cooking. The original recipe calls for cooking the oven but I think it would work equally well in the crock pot on low for about 4 hours. Serve with a hearty rye bread for a delicious meal.
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless pork loin chops, 1/2 inch thick
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tiny new potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 medium tart green apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup white wine
- Warm olive oil in heavy dutch oven over medium high heat; add the pork loin chops and brown on all sides. Remove meat and set aside.
- In same skillet saute the onion until golden, about 5 to 10 minutes; adding in a touch of wine and scraping up the brown bits from the meat.
- Stir in cabbage, potatoes and sliced apples. Sprinkle with brown sugar, salt, pepper and red wine vinegar. Place browned chops on top of all and pour 1 cup of white wine over all.
- Cover and bake, stirring once or twice, in a preheated 375 degree oven for 90 minutes or until tender. To keep meat moist, submerge into cabbage mixture as it cooks.
This was pure comfort food for me. I loved the potatoes, red cabbage and Granny Smith apple combination. Yummy! I only cooked mine for 60 minutes because I was afraid of the pork getting too well done, and it worked out well. Thank you! Made for the Soup-A-Stars during ZWT9
I made this for myself and only enough for two servings and it was pure comfort food. Enjoyed the apples along with the cabbage, used a red onion, and only one tablespoon of brown sugar since I like more tart. Paula I will so make this again! Made and reviewed for the 2014 Culinary Quest - Family PIcks.
This was an easy to put together meal, but we weren't crazy about one of the flavors. Unsure what it was, but perhaps the wine? Will do as another reviewer said and use apple juice instead the next time (and will update review if we like it better!). The chops came out incredibly juicy and the dish makes for a nice presentation. Thanks for posting, Paula! Made for team Gourmet Goddesses, ZWT9.