Recipe by Tebo
This is a good do ahead vegetable dish for a buffet table or just a dinner for a crowd. It helps to do a dish the day before and just pop it in the oven the next day!! Leaving it overnight developes the flavours. The balsamic is a nice kick to the dish.
Top Review by lindseyv
I made so many substitutions that it may not count as the same recipe anymore, but it turned out pretty well. I sauteed ginger with garlic in olive oil, balsamic vinegar and soy sauce, plus a little honey and ground pepper. This made a thin glaze, which I added to white beans and broccoli over low heat until the broccoli was steamed.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded (3 lbs at most)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter with oil in skillet or wok at medium heat.
- Add onion and sautee about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to med-high, add cabbage& ginger.
- Cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce to medium and add wine.
- Boil about 10 minutes or until wine has almost evaporated.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add sugar and seasonings and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat cabbage in skillet or wok until heated through, stirring frequently.
- Mix in balsamic vinegar and serve.