Recipe by Mirj
My BH adores chestnuts and this is one of his favorite side dishes. It has a delicious sweet and sour flavor.
- 1 lb fresh chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (2 lb) head red cabbage, cored,thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using small knife, cut an X in each chestnut.
- Place in roasting pan.
- Bake until shells loosen, about 35 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Remove hard shell and brown skin from each nut.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add onion; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage, vinegar, water and sugar.
- Cover; cook until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
- Add nuts; cook until warm, about 10 minutes longer.
- Season with salt and pepper.