Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
You can braise this on the stove top as well in the crock pot! This is a long cooking recipe to make a very tender texture. The braised red cabbage of Alsace, counterbalances the fattiness making pork, duck or a traditional Christmas goose a great to serve with it. Seasoned with apples, ginger, cinnamon, coriander and nutmeg. Try even some lavender in it!
- 1 head red cabbage, quartered cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 236.59 ml apple cider
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 78.07 ml balsamic vinegar
- 14.79 ml honey
- salt and pepper
- 2.46 ml ginger
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground coriander
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- Place all ingredients into a large crock pot.
- It will be full but will cook down to about 1/5.
- Cook for 5 hours on low.
- Stirring occasionally adding water if needed.
- Optional: Or you can cook stove top saute onions in some butter till softened add rest of ingredients and simmer 1-2 hours or bake at 350 degrees.
I have made this at least twice now, and it is always a hit! It works great as as side dish for a German meal of bratwurst, but we also just enjoyed it with Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes for Christmas Eve dinner. I make the recipe exactly according to the instructions. It's a keeper!
It was good. Next time would increase the amount of spices and add a bay leaf. Needed some sugar. Will definitely make it again. thanks
had to cook this for 6 hours, the last hour on high. Next time I'll add some honey or brown sugar to sweeten it up a bit more, or even another apple. Delicious!