Recipe by Rita~
You can braise this on the stove top as well in the crock pot! This is a long cooking recipe to make a very tender texture. The braised red cabbage of Alsace, counterbalances the fattiness making pork, duck or a traditional Christmas goose a great to serve with it. Seasoned with apples, ginger, cinnamon, coriander and nutmeg. Try even some lavender in it!
Top Review by Jen C Seattle
I have made this at least twice now, and it is always a hit! It works great as as side dish for a German meal of bratwurst, but we also just enjoyed it with Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes for Christmas Eve dinner. I make the recipe exactly according to the instructions. It's a keeper!
- 1 head red cabbage, quartered cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients into a large crock pot.
- It will be full but will cook down to about 1/5.
- Cook for 5 hours on low.
- Stirring occasionally adding water if needed.
- Optional: Or you can cook stove top saute onions in some butter till softened add rest of ingredients and simmer 1-2 hours or bake at 350 degrees.