Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
You can braise this on the stove top as well in the crock pot! This is a long cooking recipe to make a very tender texture. The braised red cabbage of Alsace, counterbalances the fattiness making pork, duck or a traditional Christmas goose a great to serve with it. Seasoned with apples, ginger, cinnamon, coriander and nutmeg. Try even some lavender in it!
- 1 head red cabbage, quartered cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place all ingredients into a large crock pot.
- It will be full but will cook down to about 1/5.
- Cook for 5 hours on low.
- Stirring occasionally adding water if needed.
- Optional: Or you can cook stove top saute onions in some butter till softened add rest of ingredients and simmer 1-2 hours or bake at 350 degrees.
I have made this at least twice now, and it is always a hit! It works great as as side dish for a German meal of bratwurst, but we also just enjoyed it with Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes for Christmas Eve dinner. I make the recipe exactly according to the instructions. It's a keeper!
It was good. Next time would increase the amount of spices and add a bay leaf. Needed some sugar. Will definitely make it again. thanks
This was good. Different. I think my problem was that the seasonings (ginger,cinnamon, nutmeg...)are so different from the way I've been making my red cabbage for years. Mine was done before four hours on Low in my slow cooker.