Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A great,tart side dish for pork roast, duck or goose
- 2 tart apples, cored, cut in half and sliced
- 44.37 ml butter
- 1 medium head red cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 59.14 ml water
- 59.14 ml red wine vinegar
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- In a large pot or a dutch oven, saute apples in butter for 5 minutes. Add all of the other ingredients.
- , Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, 35-40 minutes.
Made this to serve as a side with Bavarian Pot Roast. A natural to make up a warm, comforting fall dinner. Love the combo of apples with cabbage. I did make 2 changes, first fried 3 slices of bacon then removed and used that grease to saute the apples (also added one chopped sweet onion at this time) then proceeded with the recipe. At the end, chopped the bacon and added back into the cabbage. My husband decided he wants this meal often.
Delicious! tastes even better as leftovers, the flavour has time to really come out. Served hot or cold Yum. I did not have caraway seeds, instead added Siracha hot sauce for some heat. Turned out great. Will defiantly make this in rotation.
Nice side dish. Great color and texture. I added a little caraway seed cause I like caraway with my cabbage!! Made for Football Pool 2012.