Goes great with pan-fried or grilled pork chops. Some potato pancakes would be a nice accompaniment, too.
- Trim outer leaves from cabbage; cut into fourths and remove the inner core; slice cabbage thinly.
- Add enough water to cover bottom of large saucepan or dutch oven by about 1 inch; cover and bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage; cover and return to a boil; then lower heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add apples to kettle and cook 10 minutes more.
- Drain excess liquid from pan, if any.
- Stir in vinegar, butter, brown sugar, and pepper.
- Mix until well blended and serve.
I'm really sorry Sue but this was not to my family's liking... It was too sweet. If I were to make it again I would cut right back on the sugar, half the vinegar and keep the soy margarine the same. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds ZWT6
Sue, this was very tasty. I halved the recipe, but only used one golden delicious apple. I followed your instructions to the letter, and was very pleased with this as an accompianment to pork chops. I plan to make this again, it was very easy, and relatively quick. I wonder if a little sage would add something to it??