Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This crisp Red cabbage is stir fried with ginger, garlic, red pepper, onion, seasoned with mirin, sesame oil, and soy sauce.Nice deep dark red to stay in color for Valentines day.
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 12 ounces thinly sliced red cabbage
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 red pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup mirin, sweet cooking seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 scallion, sliced
- Heat oil add cabbage garlic, pepper, onion, stir fry 5 minutes.
- Add rest of ingredients and cook a couple more minutes.
- Garnish with seeds and acallions.
I really enjoyed this! I had leftovers all week. I used it in a veggie wrap with homemade guac, mixed greens and shredded carrots and it was so tasty. I also added it to stir fry a few times. The only thing I did differently was that I let the cabbage marinate in the mirin and soy sauce with the garlic and ginger for an hour before cooking. This is one of my favourite recipes right now.
A very attractive looking dish and an interesting new way for me to use red cabbage. I had to sub a slug of dry sherry for the mirin. Another time I think I'll add some chinese spice to the mix too.
This just didn't come out as expected. My DH and I really didn't like the taste and it seemed a little bland. I don't know what I did wrong, but I don't think I'll be trying this again. Sorry.