Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Thanks to Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) for including this in his Christmas book AND my family favorites for Christmas dinner. Tangy and sweet at the same time. EXCELLENT color for a holiday meal--jazzes up the table.
- 1 large red cabbage, cored, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock (**)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a 10-12 quart stainless steel soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, stir, cover, and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally--about 1 hour.
- Salt to taste.
- NOTE* replace with water and two beef bouillon cubes.
I did make a few changes because of the ingredients on hand. I used regular white vinegar, and added a peeled-diced gala apple. I didn't think I wanted a beef broth base so I just used a very small amount of water. The family liked it!
Added half a small onion during the cook and after cooking I added a teaspoon of yellow mustard for a little flavor boost. Very nice.
This recipe was just what I was looking for . I wanted something super easy and took a chance that the flavor would be there even with such a simple recipe. I was very impressed! I added a very small amount of sauteed bacon and onion right before I served the dish but it was already delicious!