Recipe by Jane from Ohio
I made this for a cook out. It was very good and tangy. The cabbage was crisp. It even stayed nice and crisp two days later.
- 1 head purple cabbage
- 3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 red onion, peeled and very finely sliced
- 1 cup malt vinegar
- kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Discarded,the outside tough layer of ribs and leaves of the purple cabbage.
- Quarter the cabbage and cut out the core.
- Shred the purple cabbage leaves.
- Combine cabbage,carrots and onions in a large bowl.
- Douse the vegetables with malt vinegar.
- season with salt and let sit for 1 hour, this will soften the cabbage and make it seemed almost cooked but still with a great texture.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and mustard.
- Taste for seasonings.
- The final outcome should be a creamy and tart slaw.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.