Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A German recipe in the 'modern' tradition. From A Taste of Germany.
Make and share this Red Cabbage Salad With Smoked Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb german pickled red cabbage, drained well
- 1⁄2 small onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 small green pepper, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil or 2 tablespoons a very light olive oil
- 5 ounces smoked cheese
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- green lettuce
- crouton (optional)
- Put the cabbage into a large bowl and toss in the sliced onion, green pepper and poppy seeds. Season to taste then mix in the oil.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes and mix lightly in the bowl.
- Line a platter with salad leaves and pile on the cabbage salad. Add croutons if desired.
I was selfish when I tagged this recipe as I love sweet & sour red cabbage, but DH does not care for it at all. I admit I was a bit surprised to see it paired w/cheese as that would not occur to me. I used my homemade pickled cabbage & could not find a suitable smoked cheese, so I used Camenbert & just placed it atop the salad mixture so it would not take on the red hue of the cabbage. This salad combines several distinctive flavors, but does it very well - a truly unique & tasty new salad favorite for me! Pls see my rating system & thx for sharing this recipe w/us, Ev. Edited to Add: A 2nd helping got me thinking about it & a 3rd convinced me to add a well-deserved 5th star! Yum!